How to Optimize Your Images with WP Smush and Its Alternatives
A slow website is a serious problem for any website owner, and images can be one of the factors causing this slow motion. Therefore, you need to optimise all your images to solve the problem, and this can be done using many WordPress plugins like WP Smush.
Smush is one of the top plugins that help you optimise your images. Here, we will discuss how it works as well as its cons, pros and alternatives.
What is WP Smush?
In general, WP Smush can be defined as a plugin which can be installed on your WordPress to optimise your images without losing their quality.
Pros of using Smush in your WordPress
Smush is a great plugin for your WordPress. It has a lot of pros like:
- It is easy to use. You don't have any technical knowledge to optimise your images.
- It works fast as your images are optimised once uploaded to your WordPress website.
- Smush can also optimise your older images. (Open the WordPress dashboard, go to Media, select WP Smush to bulk smush. Here, you can smooch up to 50 images at a time.
Actually, it is really a good plugin for beginners to optimise their images and improve the speed of their website. Thus, they will improve the performance of the website
Cons of WP Smush
In addition to its pros, the Smush plugin also has some cons like:
- The Smush plugin reduces the size of the image by 10-20% of its original size. Thus, if your image is 4 MB and you wanna optimise it with Smush, it will become
- You can't control how much Smush will reduce the size of your images as it follows specific metrics.
Although it may look as the best plugin for beginners looking for a fast and easy way to optimise their images, you may need more professional methods by the time your website becomes more active.
Notice that the best performance of your website will be achieved by working on many conditions, and optimising your images is just one of them.
WP Smush Alternatives
If you are not convinced to use Smush, you still have some great alternatives to use for optimising your images. These 2 alternative plugins are also used with WordPress to optimise the images of your website, but they also provide extra control of the optimisation process. This may be what you need to get images with smaller size.
EWWW Image Optimizer
EWWW Image Optimizer is also a good plugin used with WordPress to optimise the images which you upload on your website. This plugin optimizes new images as well as the old ones.
What you will love about this plugin is the ability to convert file format
Thus, you can choose the format which has a smaller file size and use it on your website.
What everyone likes about Imsanity is the bulk resize. This WordPress plugin helps you set a default size and change your old images to this size together.
As shown in the image above, you can choose a size for all your jpeg images. You can also convert all your images to JPEG automatically.